When to service the Car ?

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by Codename.47, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

We have seen some People keep a log of when to service the car and some just think its time to service the car.

I would say it depends on the following factors:

1. Road Conditions where you drive the car-Rough Roads , Smooth Roads, Gravel
    2. Type of the engine in the car: Petrol ,Diesel, Turbo Petrol/Diesel , Supercharged petrol
    3. Driving habit of a person: High Reving, average speeding or Granny driver
    4. Road types : Highway and City
    5. Drive Time: Driving all day or for 10-20 minutes?

What do you say after reading all these conditions?

Do you still think servicing your car after 10,000 KM is IDEAL

When do yo get your car serviced and what do you normally Fix/replace?

2. eather

eather New Member

all the condition u maintaind above are same with me and with me nt. coz i live in india. mean i drive both on the express way and road with a lot of clay. smtym at a very good motion and smtym very fast and smtym for a whole day and night and smtym for half an hour.
    finally at every 9000 k.m. i servicing and tuned my car.

3. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

for me oil changes are done every 3-4k with synthetic oil. brakes are done once they look like they need a change or once they start to squeak. tune up is done about every 4-5 months because of the amount of power.

since i do all this stuff at home, i can do it anytime. don't have to delay cause i know if i go to the mechanic shop its going to be rush!!

4. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Usually every 6-7000 KMs.

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

good to know guys

Gagan : Semi Synthetic or fully synthetic?

Fully synthetic oil you can use for the car that have KMS less then 100K on clock

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

since i run my cars in city most of the time, I make sure i service them at regular intervals i.e,
    Hyundai Santro: Oil, Oil Filter And because this one goes through a lot of traffic i make sure i flush the engine every 10000kms
    Swift DDiS: Oil Every 5K, Oil Filter Fuel Filter every 10K
    Honda City: Oil & Oil Filter Every 7k,
    I clean their air filters regularly, about say twice a month
    And I replace other filters as and when I see fit; all cars i have ever sold were more than twelve years old and were sold only when they weren't road worthy anymore

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

oh okay .. thats good thing you do check ur car urself :)

good work bhai

my pod needs a clean

8. gagan_singh

i use fully synthetic, im suppose to use just regular oil but ive been using this one for years now so i stuck with it.

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

not good all the time man. ask your mechanic too

10. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@rahul, i thought that once the engine had clocked more than 100k's you should start using synthetic regardless wether you were using it before or not..! or am i mistaken?

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Bhai I heard its either under or over i have to confirm with my mechanic.butya using synthetic all the time isnt good for engine ..
    enlighten me please

12. gagan_singh

its not good to use different oils. if u always use synthetic then always use that one. when u change it to regular or vise-versa then it gets messed up. i use mobil one extended performance, for high mileage motors.

13. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

its probably and old wives tale but some people have said that it only goes one way, if you go from regular mineral oil to semi or synthetic..you can't make a move back, if you guys have any info on that please enlighten me...because i am not about to check the authenticity of that tale on any of my cars :D!

14. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

ahhaha let me find out then

15. skyline wala brar

skyline wala brar New Member

i usually do it every 4000 k's, oil change is more frequent on turbo petrol cars as turbo's have oill based bearing..... if its a turbo n u r not putting out serious horse power u r better off with motul turbo light but if u r into trackdays n power junkie then Motul 1 or royal purple etc grade 4 oil is a must... and Rahul as per ozy weather if u r car has done few k's an makes noise with semi synthetic 10-40 just change to 15-40 it will keep the lifters quite and ur liner happy mate :)

16. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah i heard that but still u need to change the lifters if you wana rev over 7500 without missfires plus bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors too.
    but thats too much hassle as u know in dandenong cops are everywhere. not cuz am hoon :p just because these areas are pretty much ful of these typical ricers and hoons

17. callumpowel

callumpowel New Member

I have on Maruti Suzuki Swift which I have buy before 2 month ago. I have also not serviced it yet then also its running best and I have never find any problem. Can it problem me in future or not ?

18. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

check with your dealer :)

Depending on how many Kms you have driven

19. Oliversmith

Oliversmith New Member

One must service their car regularly so that the engine life gets prolonged and has good reliability. If your car doesn't give many miles, then it is advised to change at least the oil and filter every year.Examine your vehicle completely before you give for service.And always don't wait for a major breakdown.

20. youngisthan

youngisthan New Member

I completely agree with what you have mention above. These are the reasons you should consider or car servicing is depend on this.