Turn AC off before starting the Car ?

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by Dhillon, May 15, 2012.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Does starting you car with AC on put extra load on engine/battery ?

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

My car's Air con Cuts off automatically :p

3. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

No, this is a myth. Ever wondered why the radio turns off breifly when you start your car?

It is because in most new cars, Ac stereo's and other accessories are automatically cut off at startup so you dont have to do that manually before starting your car because if they dont cut off then the battery wont have enough power to start up the car. Also, the ac's compressor in most modern vehicles engages on engine startup normally after 2-8 seconds(depending on the vehicle). In short, it can't overload the engine because stereo is cut off when you start the car and the ac only starts when the engine turns . I dont know about older vehicles though.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

well it depends on the way the ecu is designed, as GTD has stated, most new cars have this feature, but older cars, which had hardwired switches to the compressor clutch will apply load on the engine, because the clutch will be disengaged the moment you switch on the ignition

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

I agree with Dhhawal bhai

Specially the old converted AC cars and the ones with no ECU or may be a microprocessor to control ignitions wouldn't really care whats going on with the aircon. There are some cars with some Switches design to cut off in case they are hard wired too.

I remember some electrical switches for demisters and Aircons are designed to do that. once your car turns off they get reset.

Traditional hardwired Aircon cars will have the load always on which will end up in draining your battery and the starter motor

6. Percymasson

Percymasson New Member

Here are some reason to turn off ac while you start your car and it is important to shut off ac. This prevents mold from forming within the vent duct work. The mold issue is that the solely reason why you ought to flip your AC off before turning your automobile on.

7. stephny

stephny Banned

No I have never face any of such problem with my car. Whenever I am starting my car the AC is always on. I doesn't have to required any time to OFF my car AC when starting car.

8. caraccessories

caraccessories New Member

This time different features of cars are available in Indian car market.Some cars have feature AC automatically off when stop the car and at the time of start, car Ac automatically start.if your car has not this features ,Off AC of car when you start car.

9. Oliversmith

Oliversmith New Member

It is always recommended to turn off AC before turning off the vehicle. If the AC is on, then it may lead to mold growth due to condensation. Thus turning off AC helps the moisture in the vents to dry out and thus prevents the mold in the vent system.