The CS segment in India

Discussion in 'Indian Automotive Scene' started by Rohan, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Hey folks, with the impending launch of a lot of Compact Sedans in our market by june this year, I want to start a thread regarding the comparison between various compact sedans. I am going to start firstly the comparison between Honda Amaze and Maruti Dzire as these are going to be the top cars in future according to me. Inputs from fellow members are more than welcome.

2. Arun Malhotra

Arun Malhotra New Member

honda amaze vs swift dzire
    If looks and design are your cue for choosing a car, you may find Amaze better as it is far more modern and eye catchy because of its peppiness whereas Dzire is a bit boring with old generation looks. The Honda’s sedan amaze offers upward flowing lines giving it a sportier appearance. Maruti on the other hand has made its sedan look a kind of middle aged people’s vehicle, though it has its own sophistication, it doesn’t impress much.

Maruti Dzire has a posh looking dual toned dashboard. The beige seat fabric and door pads make it look luxurious; seating is comfortable with good amount of leg and head room. And there are tons of wonderful features that weren’t present in the older version of the car.

For more information check here: honda amaze vs swift dzire ...

3. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Diesel Engine: The Swift Dzire comes with a 1.3 litre Fiat Multijet which would also make its way on the Manza CS and the engine does not need to prove itself. The Verito CS would bring to the table the 1.5 litre engine from Renault which is the most frugal unit yoou'll find out there. And now the Amaze, the car will come with a 1.5 litre i-Dtec engine with earthdreams technology which on paper looks bbetter than these one according to me but the real deal will be realised once the car hits the roads. Seeing that Honda puts it all their effort before launching the car, expect it to be quite a frugal disel engine too.

4. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Suspension: From what i believe, soft suspension is not something that will help you through the bumpy roads. Yoiu need a firm setup which combimes the best of both worlds for your car. Manza too has a suspension you wont really like coz even the Manza gives you that up and down feeling. Verito has a nice ability to eat the potholes. And now my favourite one( sorry if i sound biased ) but Amaze will have a better suspension than the rest cz it is tailor made for markets like India where there are ditches in roads, you have roads in ditches , no offence to the highways..but yes..the Amaze would have a combination of a stiff as well as soft suspensionn to take advantage of the Indian roads.

( I copied this from a forum because it seemed the best explaination to me :p )

5. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Resale Value A factor which goes unnoticed usually is the resale value of the cars. Tata and Mahindra do not command a very high resale value because the brands lack an aspirational value so the compact sedan from both their stables shall not have a very high resale value. Whereas Honda and Maruti Suzuki command a high resale value because the brand value that they bring with them. But Maruti loses out to Honda by a whisker. A Honda City used for 3 years would sell at a better price than a petrol engined SX4 used for a similar duration. Expect that price war on the resale values to be carriend on to the compact sedan segment which shall give the Amaze a slight edge over the Dzire.

6. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Pterol engine: Petrol engine is something the city commuters would buy because the diesel would not justify the costs in city limits. Swift Dzire and Honda Amaze's specifications are known as of now so we'll compare these only. The Swift comes with a 1.2 litre 87 bhp engine whih is quite the performer on city roads. Honda Amaze will come with 1.2 litre engine found on the Jazz and Brio. I ve driven a Jazz and the engine responnds awesomely. You'll have a hard time choosing between the two but we think the cars run even in this aspect.

7. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Fuel Efficiency: The most important aspect for the avergae Indian buyer is Kitna Deti hai because we belong the class of people who buy the ccar according to its fuel efficiencies. The Swift Dzire comes with an efficiency of 17-19 kmpl for the diesel engine and the petrol engine gives out an efficiency of 15 kmpl in ity limits, give or take a couple depending upon driving manners. The Verito CS will come with a K9K diesel engine whose worth has been prioven now and again and shall give a fuel efficiency figure arund 18-19 kmpl but the petrol one is not something many are going to buy. Nonetheless, it will offer an efficiency of 13-14 kmpl which is dismal in the age of soaring petrol prices. Honda Amaze on the other hand will have quite the fuel efficient statistics. The 1.2 litre petrol engine is quite fuel efficient and shall give aroubd 16-17 kilometres to a litre wheras the diesel heart will return an efficiency of more than 20 kiometres a litre. With the ever increasing fuel prices, the Amaze would seem a safer bet.

8. Rohan

Rohan New Member

After Sales Services: Maruti Suzuki is our in house brand and high level of localisation keeps the after sales services cheap. But where I feel the Suzuki cars lack are the high maintenance with time. The cars when pushed to the limits tend to show aging. Mahindra and Tata cars on the other hand handle the abuse very well provided they are given regular service. Honda cars tend to be cheaper over a period of time to maintain and the servicing costs remain more or less the same. So yeah, Honda cars offer a peace of mind which others lack a bit.

9. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Reliability: Well this is the frontier where I believe we have the strongest competition of all. Maruti Suzuki need not prove it. And Tata and Mahindra too need not prove it. Honda is already known for reliability. So whom do you choose then? Maruti Suzuki cars go pretty much the long distance but tend to show age after some 6-7 years. Verito CS on the other hand will be quite the long termer given the nature of Mahindra cars. Tata cars are the ones which will handle no matter what you throw at them. And then the dearest Honda..A middle class family would not really buy a car in at least 10-15 years. So when it comes to bringing a new member to family, I ll go with Honda. And you?

10. Arun Malhotra

Arun Malhotra New Member

Mahindra too has well read the minds of the buyers of the day and thus the March of 2013 is expected to see the launch of the brand new Mahindra Verito CS, a shorter version of the already popular sedan from Mahindra.The over all looks and the designing of the sub 4 meter Verito will be same as its older sibling and though there will be some minor changes in the front, they won’t be that very noticeable. However, the rear will get the needed change and of course the chopping off of the size.

11. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Boot Space: The Indians love to carry their world with them. They will carry a baggage orth 5 days even if they have to travel for a couple of days. Swift Dzire loses out on this aspect by aa wide margin. It has 316 litres of boot space which is pretty much what a usual premium hatchback gets and it wont fit in your bags. The Verito CS will probably be a notchback as per the spyshots doing the rounds and the boot is expected to be around 340 litres and the same will go for the Manza because of the big cabin space. Honda Amaze has been known to have 420 litres of boot space as per reports from Thailand. Do i need to say who wins?

12. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Variants to be offered: Swift Dzire CS coms in 3 variants each for petrol and diesel LXi,Vxi and Zxi and the same for diesel. Verito CS and Manza CS will have 3-4 variants each for petrol and diesel. Honda Amaze will have around 5-6 variants each for petrol and diesel. All the cars offer a lot of features in the top end variants as stndard but miss out on the VFM factor and you end up buying accessories which cost 20-30K more. Honda Brio offers a variant for every added feature which i believe is a more sensible option. You can buy what you want to [​IMG] yo.

13. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Noise Levels : Well a factor we generally tend to ignore but is quite important is the noise insulation. You would not really like the diesel clutter to creep in to your cabin. Would you? Tata Manza CS will be a highly refined product from Tata but would have the noise to be a bit on the higher side, after all its Tata. Honda Amaze will be the first diesel from the house of Honda and will surely have high degrees of refinement and we hope for good sound insulation. Dzire is already present in the market and the diesel clutter increases with age. The Verito CS is neither good nor bad. The Verito has levels you can live with, but you'll love it all the more if you dont have to live with them.

14. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Availability: Now this has been the reason a lot of companies have lost sales. Plant breakdowns,etc tend to raise the waiting periods of the cars and then, the buyers shift elsewhere. Swift and Swift Dzire have been worrse hit as in some places, they have waiting periods north of 6 months! That's d case in Punjab! IDK bout the rest of the country so Dzire CS might lose out to the upcoming competition. Honda AMaze, Verito CS and Manza CS will have shorter waiting periods for suure. And since Verito CS and Amaze are expected to give the sales a boost for their companies, i dnt thnk that the companiees would make the buyers wait.

15. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Chevrolet Sail has stormed its way into the Indian market today and the car eventhough is not a compact sedan, comes at a compact sedan like pricing. That brings us to the point that what will be the pricing of the upcoming compact sedans who will come with a 12 percent tax benefit. And since the Verito CS is something which Mahindra is betting big time on, they will surely price it well but the spyshots dont suggest a complete compact sedan. They suggest a notchbackish car instead. The most hotly anticipated launch will be the Amaze which will make its way soon too and needless to say, Honda will have a trick ot two up its sleeve to get the car's sales figures rolling. Here is a cheers to the great buys that the Indian consumer will get :)

16. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Interior quality is also of utmost importance to the car as well. Amaze will have those upmarket beige interiors which would be loved by the Indians whereas the Verito's interiors are something ages old. Manza has been catching up but it's best effort is kinda not best enough which leaves the Amaze kind of a winner here with that airy feel to the cabin. So yes, Honda intends on selling what people intend on buying and those are some good quality interiors.

17. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Another point worth mentioning is the fit and finish levels of the car. The Verito will lose out due to its poor build quality and that bombproof engine does not get much support to get the sales going. And the CS will go down the same road unless priced well. The Manza has too much of plastic being used, giving that car a cheap sorta feel which will be carried on the CS as well sadly. Honda has been knwn for their built to last quality of cars and the same we believe will carried on to the Amaze as well. Giving the car an edge over the rest.

18. Ritwik

Ritwik New Member

Honda surely does have an edge over the rest in terms of everything actually. And the Amaze is going to be no exception to that as well. It is going to be a good car that shall find a lot of takers if it comes at just the right price point. In a country where price matters a lot, Honda will surely have to play the VFM card if they want the Amaze to reach common households. I trust honda on this one and they will surely do well to make the car a success. And after all, its gonna compete with the Miss Ugly Dzire so it could just be the CS indians have been looking for

19. Ritwik

Ritwik New Member

I have a firm belief that when a commmon man buys a car, he gives it quite a serious thought before buying one and the Amaze will surely give a ertain peace of mind to the potential customer. Honda cars have a history of cheap maintenance and are easy onn the pocket of the common man when it comes to maintaining them. So the Amaze will surely give its owneers a peace of mind and since it has that built to last kinds of quality, you need not change your car in near future either. Itss like buy it, fill it, shut it and forget it :)

20. Ritwik

Ritwik New Member

A point my fellow member seems to have missed is the aspirational value of the car brand. The badhe Honda commands a different respect as compared to the likes of the Suzuki and Hyundai. So when many middle class families go to the market to buy a car, they might very well as go for the Honda badging and if they go on to buy a competitively priced CS, the Amaze will be the undisputed choice of everybody.