Superchargers Vs Turbochargers

Discussion in 'Basic Guides' started by Codename.47, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Concept of Forced inductions came from the need of some extra power to stand out in the crowd .

Two general type of sports cars we get these days include :
    A turbocharger
    A Supercharger

Let me give you an overview about the working of these two.

Turbocharger is basically a turbine which has a rotar blades that gets their movement from the exhaust gases from the car's exhuast. The turbine then turns the Compressor and then compressed air from compressor goes into the Intercooler to cool it down and then introduce it to the intake manifold. Since the Air is compressed ( high pressure) It makes the ignition quicker and more fuel is burn ( means more efficiency for the amount of fuel burnt) hence more power.Turbo chargers Do CUT OFF at certain limits

Supercharger is just a compressor driven by the drive shaft of the engine and its always working because of that reason.
    Drive shaft turns the supercharger via BELT/Chain depending on the car setup and hence it introduces the compressed air into the intake manifold and resulting in improved ignitions and efficiency for the same amount of fuel.

Now My question is. What do you prefer?

2. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

umm i prefer superchargers..not because i own a car which has one.. :p, but moreover because when i drive in delhi...i would like a car which has good response..which is where the turbo looses out...!

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Okay so your prefer more power disregarding the efficiency.

good point.

4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

well bud...lets for example sake consider..the fact that there's a gap i see in traffic...i start to speed up and make the gap...so i spend more fuel but i get the job done...with a turbo..i got to counter lag, and then i get this load of boost when the turbo spools up..but probably by that time the gaps closed...then i have to brake to bring the speed down...so i spent more fuel...but didn't accomplish anything..when you have wide roads...clear traffic..then i'll def go for a turbo...but its just less practical for petrol vehicles in city traffic..it lacks the predictability of the supercharger!

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

thats good . According to Indian Roads I would say go for Supercharger as you said above. Even I think Turbo does have some drawbacks. Like my one, Car drinks up all the petrol . I speed up in first gear 60 kmph Turbo is kicked in as soon as I Rev it over 4000 instant response. But it sometimes defeats the purpose of keeping it economical

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

yep...i know that a supercharger is parasitic...but its power surge is linear..for every degree of pedal travel..you get a predictable push..in case of a turbo...there's a flat cruve till the exhaust gas pressure rises..and then there's this frenzied power delivery...for every milimieter of pedal travel u get buckloads of power..thats why personally i think turbo's are best suited to diesel engines..as they develop all their power in their lower range..and the superchargers are better suited for petrol engine applications

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Yeah but doesnt it makes your engine hot?Since supercharger is constantly running . Can you change the boost levels as well . u can for Turbos . A Stock R33 skyline turbo is tuned to 7psi max but you can make it to run 13psi max tested.

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

well i think engine operation is the same and shouldn't make any difference to the temperature, the turbo isn't stationary when your engine is idling..its also rotating albeit at a lower speed, you can also adjust the boost pressure by changing the pulley..but what here we are talking about is a choice...the mclaren slr had a supercharger which ate up 105bhp...imagine..a honda city engine just to drive a supercharger, the holden/vauxhall monaro barthast uses a large supercharger which you can hear miles away..:D, the veyron uses four turbos which drown out anything in the world, maybe they were used because they were simpler..whatever the case, they have definite advantages over each other..question is, which one would you have..!

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah the police cars in here the V8 supercharged holdens and falcons.. man they went pass u and they got that sound..

10. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

What would be better for boosting a H22 prelude engine?

Supercharger or Turbo?

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Prelude :S

keep the honda heart use i-Vtec engine

12. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

LOl...It's only 200 hp stock. How does one increase the power?

13. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

big Intake
    big Exhaust
    spark plugs and cables
    ECU tuning
    better engine oil
    better clutch to handle more hp
    lower it for better handling

dnt spend too much though

14. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

if u really wanted to then turbo for sure. i know a couple of people who have turbo'ed there h22 and damn is it fast. lol

15. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

turbo setup .. min ur looking for is 1000 dollars

16. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

if u do it right and with a good tune it will run u around 2000. but it will make just under 300hp if not more.

17. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

ya for a front wheel drive is more then enough

my stock mitsubishi has abt 160 kw stock but you can really feel the push when u accelerate