Review: Long Term Ownership Report Santro Xing 1.1 ELX 2004

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dhhawal, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

I'll put up pictures of the said car soon...its not that photogenic because its quite bruised considering its my daily drive, and its driven through the rowdiest and lawless traffic that inhabit parts of old delhi, the car has presently 76000kms on the odo, i haven't made many mods to it except for the ICE, and the exteriors and the interiors are stock, this was the power steering version thats still being sold today, the car has weathered the test of time well, and is still in good condition as far as the engine is concerned, the a/c is showing its age as it was never serviced, tyres are bridgestone s322 which lasted the better part of 70,000kms(says a lot about its driver no? ;) ), it hasn't asked for much this car..the clutch was overhauled at 67000kms, which is quite a lot since it goes through 8kms of stop start traffic everyday,

After i'd purchased this car, i'd installed an aftermarket power windows/central locking kit from autocop which is still working fine, its been returning an average of about 11km/l(avg speed 20kmph) with the aircon doing duty full time which is a lil less according to me.

A few of the niggles encountered:
    When i purchased this vehicle, within the first three thousand kilometers, the brakes developed a judder, and i was told by the service people that the brake discs had warped..apparently this was a manufacturing fault, and they gave me reground discs from somebody elses vehicle, however the problem wasn't solved and this excercise was repeated a few more times until i ended up with the right set..the brake pads lasted me 77000kms..just changed them last weekend
    Sometimes the battery would just run flat, this happened to me quite a few times and i had to get a jump from some passers by, this problem could not be traced, i got the started motor serviced(bushes changed), i also got the battery changed which did not help either..then i landed upon the idea that it could be the central locking leaking current when it was standing in the parking the whole day, i serviced the solenoids of the same by taking them out and readjusting them, and since then, the problem seems to have disappeared.
    Till about 65k kms, i took it to the serviced station to get it serviced @deep hyundai peeragarhi, but the DIY man in me decided to change the oil/oil filter one sunday, and when i saw the amount of oil that i drained was filled with gunk and also less in quanitiy, i was convinced the station did not change it the last time around, that time i just filled the oil and changed the oil filter, at 75k, the oil came out full measure, much cleaner, and before i put in new oil/oil filter i flushed the engine with diesel..put in new NGK spark plugs, and a new air filter as well.
    The car also had idling problem once a month when it was warm. The problem was traced to the IACV(Idle air control valve) which nobody thought of touching(at the service station), so i opened it and cleaned it with the help of a carb cleaner, and poof, the car was back to its young self.

Considering how much this car was worth, its been a pleasant going, although i can't say it will continue much longer as i am going to dispose of it soon(probably). Its been a reliable companion for most of the time..and has asked very little attention of me. Never asked for more than the regular oil change/tune up and the one in a blue moon battery change.

Certain parts of this vehicle are not available locally i.e clutch cable and the like, which is a bit irritating because having owned maruti's i like the idea of anywhere available spares. But neverthless..smooth sailing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Thats is a really good ownership review of the car Santro
    I still remember when the car was launched , at that time its only rival was Maruti 800 and the Matiz. Matiz was hit for a while then Santro completely over ruled.

Disc problem is quiet common , it happens to the present day cars as well I remember my falcon had that problem, got the disc grinned and was solved.

Why did you overhaul the car at 67K its some decent K's on. Does the car have a timing belt.
    You should have changed that as well it helps your car idling problem to isn't it?

When I was reading the part that your car battery goes flat often the first thing that came into my mind was the Central locking, not sure who told me this but one of my mate had the same problem and he replaced the system and was good.
    I saw that a guy in my gym had a new commodore and he pressed lock and went inside .
    Indicators flicker and then car is locked..but it didnt what it actually did, indicators flickered and then Remain turned ON.
    I was like this is going to make the car battery flat and that happened eventually.

AFM - Air Fuel mixture is the reason car gets idling problem.
    Its very common with skylines because they all have the pod filters and the AFM sensor always gets some carbon on it making the ECU flush more oil into the chamber.

why are selling it when you sailing

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

well i did not get an engine overhaul but a clutch overhaul, the clutch was jittery although it wasn't quite slipping yet..but it seemed like it had become unbalanced..in traffic when you have a clutch like that..you keep jittering all the time, stresses the drivetrain too. It was not that the idle was uneven, but it used to drop quite drastically to about 600rpm and stayed there for like 5 or ten minutes, once it was even having trouble settling to an idle and would just die, the idle air control valve is a valve used to accentuate the vaccum in the manifold by monitoring/regulating the air bypassing the throttle plate when it is closed(i.e zero throttle), when this valve is malfunctioning/dirty it won't let sufficient air into the engine which cause idle to drop/fluctuate.
    I think what you mean is the MAF or the Mass air flow sensor, I did check that also by disconnecting it altogether and there was a difference in the idle indicating that it was working, besides the MAF works in a closed loop with the IACV at zero throttle, the IACV is however independent of MAF outputs and is only dependent on Load at Idle(electrical load/mechanical loads) and compensates for them. The skyline's tech was different as it didn't have to go through the relevant stiff emission tests of today.
    The timing belt is not showing any signs of wear, although i will get it changed at the recommended inerval of 1lac kms if i keep it, regardless of the condition it is in.
    The reason I am gonna sell it is that I am still getting good resale for it(1.5L), so i can change without losing much money on it, and I'll go in for a diesel which is gonna be much cheaper as a daily drive.

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

oh okay
    so clutch overhaul .. how much does that cost
    do you have same clutch setup like skyline in there.

yeah sell it :D and get a another good one

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

the clutch overhaul was reasonable, i spent around 3k on parts, another 1k on fitment..! hehe..don't tease me man, as it is i was turning green like the hulk when you had the skyline with you

6. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

hahaha
    it was more yours then mine.
    I wana sell my magna asap and get another one. not sure this time what .. but whenever u know