Night Driving on Indian Highways

Discussion in 'Basic Guides' started by Dhillon, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Please share your experiences and tips for Night Driving on Indian Highways.

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

3 years ago I went to India and had to goto Haveli,Jallandar from Hoshiarpur.
    Went during the day . ITs about 35 kms from Hoshiarpur. Punjab.

It was about 11 we started from Jallandhar. It didn't take that long to reach back home but the driving was pretty rough.
    On coming traffic wouldn't use low beam.
    I used dippers and some actually did the low beam but some just ignored it.

Dogs and some 2 wheelers were over ruling the roads. I felt so scared while I was on the road.
    I am not going to drive if I goto India

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

rahul is right to a great extent but then again if you don't have a choice then these are somethings i would like to suggest:
    1. Drive really slowly especially when the reflective road paint is not visible and/or when the overhead lighting is poor..at high speeds at night even a small corner can throw you off into a ditch
    2. If you see a single beam coming towards you at night..do not make the cardinal mistake of thinking its a bike..its probably a truck with one headlamp out...!
    3. Overtake only when there is no traffic coming in the opposite direction..truckers invariably use high beams at night and that can blind you, plus your judgement of distance becomes a lil incoherent, so please drive safely
    4. And this I maintain is the most important..make sure your wiper liquid is topped up, and that you have a spare bottle of water to wash your windscreen, you will hit insects and they are gonna be splattered all across it, so use your wipers...if they r not up to the job..pull over, wash it with your hands..your vision is the most important tool
    5. Don't play chicken with oncoming overtaking traffic..truckers are mostly drunk and full time idiots, have the proper temperament to get off the road if need be

4. callumpowel

callumpowel New Member

Very dangerous. In india mostly accident happen on the high in night driving. So my advice to travel as possible as in the day because our high condition are not good enough and it is also very hard to get emergency medical service there.