Motorcycle Engines Vis-a-Vis Car Engines

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dhhawal, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

I've posted this thread to get people thinking on why it is that car engines don't produce enough power as compared to motorcycle engines of the same displacement..! they are able to rev higher and produce all their power in the range of 10,000-14000 rpm, car engines produce most of their power in the 6000-8000 rom range..!

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Yes I was thinking about it yesterday.
    For same engine say 1300 CC Hayabusa engine will produce more power and will be quicker then normal 1300 CC car.

1 reason is the power band. Motor bike engines are designed to have an ideal power range where they produce maximum power/acceleration for the same amount of fuel burnt.
    It doesn't mean it more economical but it simply means the combustion at that time is at its best.

Honda Motorbikes have their Power band lying in 6000-7000 RPM
    Yamaha has 4-5000 RPM
    Where as Car engines are heavier and their cranks are not designed to rev higher then 7000 RPM (you'll be lucky if you can Rev 1300 CC to 6500)

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

i think it does also have a lot to do with the load experienced by the engines..a car wieghs about five or six times a mobike...which neccisates the use of heavier and more robust materials(plainly..about five or six times stronger), which makes them heavier, lower wieghts of the rotating masses(pistons, cranks, conrods) in motorcycle engines allows them to rev significantly higher...thats one of the reason why you just can't take out the engine from a hayabusa and fit it into your honda city...!

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Actually they do :p havent u seen smart cars

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

hehehe, yep but the smarts a light vehicle...some track cars also have bike engine..but all of these cars are relatively light!

6. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

do u know in F1 they use 600 CC engine (cuz cant go more than that?)
    ninja 6r bike's engine they use i heard.

7. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

formula 1? which formula 1?

8. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

i dont know my mate went to UK while he was studying engineering and he made this formula car using ninja 600 cc bike. their is a restriction he told me. it was in the newspaper too

9. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

So If you put a hayabusa engine in a Honda City, The car will be Fast if you keep the engine RPM high and pretty sluggish at low RPM ?
    Just curious !

10. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

thats exactly right bro...bike engines have lower torque..so it won't be able to pull away cleanly..keep stalling all the time..and it won't last you very long...that additional load of the car will force its engine internals to wear out more quickly..!