Maruti Ertiga launched - Price Rs 5.89 lakh

Discussion in 'Indian Automotive Scene' started by Dhillon, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Maruti Suzuki, India's largest car manufacturer on Thursday launched its utility vehicle Ertiga at an introductory price range of Rs 5.89 lakh to Rs 8.45 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Ertiga will come in both petrol & diesel versions. With this car, the company has introduced its K-14 VVT 1.4 litre petrol engine in India. Maruti has termed it to be a Life Utility Vehicle (LUV).

The Ertiga also comes with a new 1.4-litre K-Series petrol engine that uses variable valve timing and a 1.3-litre turbocharged diesel mill.

Maruti claims that the seven seater car, will come with a fuel efficiency of 20.77 kmpl for its diesel variant (1.3 litre DDiS Super Turbo engine).

The headlamp, in particular, resembles the Swift's while the rest of the exterior looks like an extended version of the Maruti Suzuki Ritz.

Its closest competitors could be the Mahindra Bolero and Tata Sumo Victa among diesel-powered cars. Among petrol MPVs though, it will likely have a free run.

Ertiga, Maruti's first multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) was unveiled at the Auto Expo 2012 in Delhi. With Ertiga, the company steps into the Utility Vehicle (UV) segment and effectively creates a new compact MPV segment in India.

Built on the Swift platform, Ertiga's made-for-India design cues will form the mainstay of its market positioning. Maruti is planning to sell around 5,000 units of Ertiga every month.

The company would manufacture the new car at its plant in Gurgaon.

[​IMG]

2. kevin786

kevin786 New Member

this car looks stunning

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

4. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

How does this engine compare with the one in the current swift?

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

its mostly the same, equipped with a Variable Geometry Turbo to help pump out some more ponies

6. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

Future engine swap for old swifts ?

7. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@GTD possibly, but if you really want to go the whole hog, you can fit a larger turbo to the same engine, its a cheaper and better alternative

as promised dhillon sahab, even though i got a lil late in fulfilling the promise, i went for a test drive of this vehicle, let me make it abundantly clear, my views are my own and not biased against or for anyone and is only my personal opinion, the ertiga at first glance reminded me of the jazz albiet a blown up version of the same, the first thing that caught my eye were the front disc brakes, which for some very important reason have been surface treated(read light grooves) which i can only guess would be for increased braking performance, since this vehicle is intended for family use(in this case my own), i took my family along, which included my brother, father and my mother, accessibilty is very good in the sense that niether my mom or dad had to 'climb' into the vehicle nor crouch into it, they just sort of 'slid in', to test the space at the back, i got into the third row, thinking that this would where the ertiga's achilles heel would be, but i was disappointed, with me at the back, sitting in relative comfort(i had to widen my legs a bit) my brother sitting in the second row having ample room, i am hard pressed to find a vehicle which offers such comfort(which include the seven seater innova), ingress and egress in the third row is convenient with the passenger being able to swing the second row forward to exit the vehicle instead of being dependent on somebody else, suzuki have packaged this vehicle very well in the sense that this car covers up its bulk very well, looking from the outside you cannot imagine it can seat 6 full grown, hefty(not saying that i am one of them) passengers, but it can, boot space is severely compromised with the third row up, leaving room for only a couple of airbags, in the VDi version and above, you have cooling for the second row, steering is hieght adjustable, steering mounted controls std in the ZDi, so we all saddled up, for the test drive, five people in the car, with my bro in the third row, ride is firm and controlled, almost car like, however when you do go over rough roads, the feedback from the rear reminds you this ain't no hatch, uptil 1800rpm the engine is sluggish from where on it starts to pull cleanly and swiftly, not bad for an MUV, thats where you would want to be when overtaking traffic, NVH is much better than the dzire, the cabin is quieter, interiors are fairly decent and upto the standards of other cars within this price range, engine bay is also neatly laid out and well spaced, the rear row can be folded flat into the floor to maximise storage capacity, i have to say i am mighty impressed, suzuki really did thier homework on this one, they have packaged this car very well, the factory fitted head unit's performance is great too, its inconcievable that a car this small can seat six full grown adults, but it can, and that too in comfort, i had reservations about wether this vehicle could deliver, but it really has, with flair that too, i don't think that its a direct competitor for the innova however people will be drawn to it with it lower price tag, and compact design
    verdict: have booked the VDi
    now the bad part, they say delivery could take 5 months:eek:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012