Long Term Review - Maruti Zen

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dhillon, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Picked it up in September 2002 and drove it straight to the tyre shop.
    Replaced the stock rims and tyres with 13" 5½ JJ Alloys and 165/65/R13 Tyres.
    (had to raise the height by few inches)
    Next was a CD player and a Sun film.

In 10 years the car has done just 42,000KMs, low mileage as there were other cars in the family I was slightly more fond of and then I was in Scotland for 4 years.

Tech Specs- Its the MPFI version which has slightly more ponies then the carburetor version. The top speed is 140km but at that speed you no longer feel in control and get the impression that Car is going to tore itself apart.

Mileage- I get about 15kmpl in city.

Maintenance- Apart from regular servicing , Front brakes pads were replace thrice, Rear brake drums, front shockers and bush kit once.

The tyres were replaced and downsized at 40,000kms http://www.cartalk.in/f17/down-sized-481/

Spares and Service- Is available in every 'Nook and Corner' of India even when the vehicle is long out of production. Spares are dirt cheap. Brake pads cost just Rs350, pair of front shocks Rs2400 and Bush Kit is Rs450.

The not so Good things-
    1. Ride quality could be better.
    2. Hardly any leg room at back.
    3. Boorish on Highways.

Verdict: The car has served me well for a decade, have some great memories.Selling it won't make much sense. Probably soon I'll hand over the keys to a younger cousin or Nephew :)

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

thanks for the nice review man :)
    any pictures to see how did you maintain it.

yeah you cant expect much from them can ya for the amount you paid

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

The zen was first ever car to be introduced into the premier hatch segment, and was in instant hit! It was the pioneer, too bad it lost the crown...but i think we can all agree...it has aged very well...!