Interchangability

Discussion in 'Parts Information' started by Dhhawal, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

We all know that manufacturer's use products or different 'families' of engine parts, and they put them together to what we call an engine that we see under our bonnets, thing is though with a lil searching you'll can find that your parts are completely interchangable with other parts of the same family, so instead of going for custom headers or injectors use the internet to find out which family of engines parts does your engine consist of, this way you can make cost effective changes without worrying about compatibility. you can make minor changes(intake manifold/exhaust manifold), to head swaps, and tranny swaps..! in some cases you can swap a complete engine and use your original engine mounts.

The nice thing about going this route is that there always going to be spares available and you don't need to be worried about 'custom' parts, however, be warned when you do plan something like this, go online and read forums about what you are planning to do and what you can accomplish realistically. Contact people on these forums, and exchange notes about the kind of problems they encountered. In short..garner as much information as you can.

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

This is a very nice thread.
    All I can say about interchangeability I haven't done any of the parts swap yet :/

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

very few people do, but a skyline/chaser don't need it anyways..:p, it benefits the people who have high volume low cost cars...like the honda civic, or the suzuki swift, and so on...so for some relative lost cost mod, you get more bang for your green..

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

What I heard is you can actually interchange pistons

5. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

i do this all the time. alot of parts that i get are from other random cars. not that im saving money but its just that sometimes u have too.

6. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

I remmeber you putting 300zx brake calipers on ur 240

7. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

nobody's saying its cheap of a person to interchange, its the avilability and the ease of getting the parts that count, honda mini-me(interchaning heads of different engine, say a d15b with a d16y8) are pretty big in america, which how they are able to make those power crazed jap monsters, i initially made the mistake of thinking that the D engine i had in my city was a cheap knock off, turns out its the JDM(Japanese domestic market) block thats preffered all over the world, some guys have made 200hp from that block naturally aspirated, a big turbo would probably put out 325,

@rahul, yes of course, same pistons are used right throughout the industry, even different manufacturers share pistons, but things change as far as the design of the block and head are concerned, which is why within the same family of engines you can change and upgrade heads/distrubtors, etc so you can effectively get a bigger bang for your buck...!