Honda Civic or VW Jetta or Chevrolet Cruze or Skoda Laura

Discussion in 'What Car Should I Buy?' started by Abhinav, May 7, 2011.

1. Abhinav

Abhinav New Member

Need some advice on buying my next car.

Want to buy a Sedan, My Budget is RS. 15 lakhs (can stretch it a little). So, my options are Honda Civic / Volkswagen Jetta / Chevrolet Cruze / Skoda Laura.

1. Honda Civic - Saw it, test drove it, liked it quite a lot. The interiors are pretty decent, as are the exteriors. Have had Honda City since ages (all generations), so have a lot of faith in Honda. However, have 2 major concerns - A. fuel efficiency, and B. Honda comes up with a new generation car every 5 years as they did with the City and the Accord. Civic might be up for an overhaul soon.

2. Volkswagen Jetta - saw it, test drove it, the interiors were a bit disappointing. Moreover, the car seemed overpriced, for its features and power. And then, have concerns about the after-sales service. So not very sure about it

3. Chevrolet Cruze - saw it, test drove it, the interiors were horrible (vis-a-vis the Civic and Laura). The plastic quality looked too cheap, moreover, the car seems cramped from inside. Not very keen on it now.

4. Skoda Laura - saw it, test drove it, loved the performance and interiors and exteriors. However, petrol variant might be too heavy on fuel consumption, while diesel one seems a tad expensive. Good part is Skoda's brand and quality, and the fact that 2009 was the year they overhauled the car, so a new generation might still be far off.

Moreover, is there any point in spending INR 2 lakhs more on a diesel car upfront, when over a 80K kms, 8-year horizon, I might save only INR 1.5 lakhs on fuel?

Quite confused. Eager to get advice from experts, past/current/likely owners of the above. Thanks.

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Hi Abhinav,
    There are few people from India on this forum that can help you out.

I am not a big VW fan anyways only car I liked from VW is a GOLF R32 2 Door Coupe

Jetta is not that great as you said above and yes for India it is well overprices and over-rated as its an import.

Honda Civic is a nice car , I drove 2009 Honda Civic Canadian Specs while I was in Canada for holidays and went to Newyork from Ottawa. Drove my mates Civic about 9000K's in 3 weeks .
    I must say it is quiet Fuel efficient .

Chevrolet cruze is a value for money if your Range is 15 lac ,you'll probably end up saving some if your going to get that one. But Dhhawal lately told us finish of that car isnt that great but its okay for what your paying.
    Skoda: Dont know about Laura not many people buy them in Australia

3. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

first of all welcome to cartalk!!

from my past experiences with chevy, honda, and vw {never drove or owned a skoda}. i would buy the civic, its pretty fuel efficient and is a great car overall.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

What kind of mileage are you looking at?
    The civic is a good car, I did buy it, but I sold it immedietly afterwards because it bottoms out fairly easily, especially with more than two people on board, the road conditions are responsible(in India) but I can't help thinking that honda is probably using its previous generation suspension at the rear because the suspension squats like a dog doing its business(if you know what i mean), and it does result in the tyres wearing out from the inside..

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

are there any differences in Canadian and indian specs? because the one I used in canada was awesome

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

Can't say, but it is concievable since all the reputed car manufacturers treat the indian market like a step-son, when bmw introduced the 5-series in the indian market, they introduced it with the chris bangle design which was five years old at the time, intelligent move since the 5-series wasuinconventional to look at and didn't sell very well, so they thought they'd off load their unsold last generation model in india, honda also haven't introduced a single deisel variant in its line up, and you have five cars to choose from, the city, crv, accord, civic, or the jazz(if i missed one or two, i apologise), both the crv and the civic develop a pronounced negative camber when fully loaded, honda would never make this mistake in another market because they are the middle rung competitors, in india though, we buy anything, be it over-priced, or under equipped, for god sakes don't you remember the qualis?, toyota's runaway success in india, it was a forty year old design that was a huge flop in south africa...i guess in a few years time when the market becomes a lil more mature, we can expect to get more bang for our bucks...!

7. singh-a-lion

singh-a-lion Super Moderator

Choose from jeeta nd cruz both r best buy i drove jeeta upto 195 km/h its really gud. Cruz is loaded with features and features. Cruz is gud if u aftr features

8. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Honda doesn't produce a lot of diesel models.
    they love their i-Vtec and V-tec's dont they

9. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

They do a 2.2L i-DCI, diesel engine which was/is shared by CR-V and the Accord..they rumors that they were gonna introduce this is the indian market but they never did... :(

10. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah I know there are only few Honda Diesel engines isnt it

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Go for the Chevvy Cruze !

12. deep

deep New Member

i own a Honda CIVIC EX-L 2009 and i love it, never gave any problem, nice mileage, excellent handling and performance, we drove it from NYC-Toronto-NYC without any issues, with somewhat less than 3 tanks of oil.

13. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

haha Deep man
    We drove my mate's Car in Canada , same model Civic
    From Ottawa to NYC and then back to Ottawa . took abt 2-3 Tanks

14. eather

eather New Member

my openion to go with civic. i have one oe them. and u knw wot the honda comitment coz u have been use a hond city.
    although its a perfect in ur budget bt u may think about a lot for its milage.
    happy journey wotever u choose.

15. smith

smith New Member

If you are talking about the sedan segment car then why don't you wait for the upcoming Skoda Rapid. As it seems to have cool features. Skoda Rapid is having both the petrol and diesel model and both will be loaded with an engine capacity of 1.6L.
    You must see the features and specifications of it. I collected the information from Skoda Rapid page from CarKhabri.

16. johan

johan New Member

Hi Abhinav
    Honda civic is ruling to the Indian roads form past many year its having impressive mileage, excellent handling and performance. So honda civic will be best car. One more thing I would like to suggest you as petrol price is increasing rapidly so if you go for the diesel car it would be best for your pocket like new Hyundai Verna diesel will cost you approx Rs. 8.5 its mileage will be approx 20kmpl.
    can you tell us that what mileage you are expecting?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  17. alcatraz

alcatraz New Member

As concerned with skoda they are high on maintenance also their dealer network is pretty bad.
    Same as for VW they dont have much dealers. But on maintenance dont know.
    Chevy gives you 3 years warranty which is the best in its class.
    Now as handling is concerned Honda are the best.
    Chevy has turbo lag and also is clutch pedal comes back quickly so in traffic you gonna suffer.
    Now the amazing thing is that civic has all 'petrol' variants and cruze has all 'diesel' variants. Also cruze is a 2.0 L diesel and Civic has 1.8 L Petrol so if compared they are both same on acceleration . But as you know the petrol prices diesel should be an option. But if a person is purchasing a car worth 15 lacs he should have that much money to spent on fuel also.
    So i would choose Civic. :D
    Best LUCK

18. johan

johan New Member

Hi alcatraz
    I am totally agree with you that skoda need much maintenance and the problem is that they have rare service center same case is applied with VW also, no doubt cruze is power full and good car but when you compare it with civic then Honda Civic will be best here and one more thing I would like to share it with you that Honda Civic will be coming in new avatar means getting facelift.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  19. ankitaawasthi

ankitaawasthi New Member

The Skoda Laura has been, right until date, seating happily at the best of the posh diesel-auto zone. It has dominated because of lack of worth competition in a good way as its costing and contours which combines to create it a good enough store for clients.

The problem is usually fluctuating now with the leading of the Chevrolet Cruze, which has brilliant costing even for its all-attributes laden variant.

If we throw the newest Volkswagen Jetta into this mix, even though with its latest value, then we possess made an attractive trio that will accomplish to succeed in the proper of this sector.

The Interiors and Exteriors:

These kinds of are parameters that the Chevrolet Cruze dominates. This present car has alluring plans, both in a very interiors and exteriors. The exterior attributes are ruled by an important leading grille, roof specialty comparable to the coupe. It has angular headlamps in a good way as LED lamps at the rear; each separately in a good way as mutually capable of having a bossy presence. stage from the in finding a perfectly formulated dashboard, a wheel with multi-functionalities, cruise canning, surroundings dominance and the wants. but the element that steals the is its keyless leading suitably as leap. though the cabin style and design cannot be deemed to make the most effective, the overall ease it offered is quite moderately good.

The Jetta but has superior plastics, apart inside the Chevy. on the other hand, the high-end technologies that the Chevy has firmly continue its leading billing.

The Skoda Laura features a roomy and comfy cabin with enjoyable room plot, particularly at entry. the space adequacy gets more time to the rear of the vehicle suitably.

Running skill:

The Skoda regulation here with dazzling physical structure handling and a supportive steerage crafting riding it the perfect some of the three vehicles. In response to different, running this vehicle is fun.

The Jetta can be thought of as the car that manages civil roadways the simplest due to its softer steerage aiding in nice rule than the Laura at slower pace. then again, within overall come across, the Laura performs the best.

The Chevy occupation effectively at slower hurry on the other hand at further pace the guidance experiences a bit obscure.

The power Equation:

On the engine leading, the Chevrolet Cruze is within a category of its possess. The 2L supercharged diesel engine builds top effectiveness of 150Bhp, thrashing the other two autos palms down by almost 50Bhp. The Jetta and the Laura cannot harmonize to its pace of acceleration. Also by riding 5-rate book transfer, the Chevy beats Jetta in a very drivability component. It is also the only van that can normally breach the 200kmph mark, whereas the remainder two can sing his own praises to 180kmph utmost. this large drive, nevertheless, has a bad effect when it comes to overall riding components and particularly driving in region roadways. This is where the Skoda Laura rankings again as it can be dealt with greater on all type of roadways.

The pricing:

On the other hand having a bunch of convenience and vibrant profile, the Chevrolet Cruze has been charged kind of beautifully. an amazing assurance provides accompanies it suitably. but the Laura is better than it thanks to it being well again within an essential lots of parameters, of which pricing also happens to be one.

The End-verdict:

The Cruze seems a coaxing car furnished its host of capabilities and first rate site coupled with riding calm ease. even so, it loses out inside make design to both the Jetta and the Laura. however the Cruze is the best van among the three, it is also the bottom as far as gasoline results is concerned. The Laura, on the other hand extensively lower successful, is a higher power and skillfully as the for the most part fuel useful. The Volkswagen Jetta rankings tall on safeguard and luxury cause. but, if all the phase are combined and a choice has to be taken, it sort of feels that the tenure of the Skoda Laura is going to maintain, before another higher form comes available in the market.

20. Deepak Raj

Deepak Raj New Member