Honda City Modification thread

Discussion in 'DIY Zone - The Techincal Era' started by Codename.47, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

To start with modifying let me explain some things about this thread.
    Honda's are pretty good cars for modifying.
    Despite legendary V-Tec there's a lot more to add on the car to increase performance, stability and handling.

1. Cold air intake: Either add a pod filter in the way that it doesn't suck the warm air coming from engine bay. This can be done by making a partition on the pod side.

2. Bigger exhaust system: You can add a bigger exhaust from exhaust manifold till the exhaust tip keeping in mind the emission standards set in your country

3. ECU Re-map: you can either Re-map the ECU with set of performance mods and be able to keep up with it.

4. Spark plugs and wiring: You can achieve a better performance only if the combustion is carried out in the cylinder efficiently. This can be done by adding better Iridium/Platinum spark plugs and changing the wiring if necessary.

5. Forced Induction: Adding a turbo charger or a Supercharger depending on the need of the car. If you want a constant power to run through the engine you might go for Supercharger or depending on the situation you need performance at certain occasion you would like to chose a turbo charging the engine. It includes a lot of effort. A turbine and a compressor , intercooler , blow off valve and appropriate AFM sensors.

2. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Honda (atleast here in India) is very fussy about after market modifications.
    for example after market alloy wheels and music system will void the suspension and electrical warranty.

3. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

^^that is why you should buy a good used car or wait till the warranty is over. Dealers will never work on aftermarket parts since they are neither trained nor authorised.

4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

Haw haw haw

This topic is entirely suggestive, after deliberating on modifying my c200k and my balls dropping after hearing the costs involved if something were to go wrong, i have decided to spend my money on my 2003 1.5Exi honda city type II, it has a 100bhp powerplant, and a b15c2 engine, which is essentially a d15 block with a d16y8 head,
    I did go to a tuner to ask for a basic exhaust, intake, fuel pressure job, but i saw something which made me change my mind. I saw a honda city with a b16a engine swap, which in its stock form makes 170bhp, the car revs all the way upto 9200rpm, and trust me when i say this, the acceleration is nothing short of hairy..! It can put a sports car to shame.
    Nevertheless I have talked to the tuner at length about an engine swap, I am convinced that the turbo kit is the right way to go.
    The Turbo Kit I am talking about is from Red Rooster Performance and includes:
    1.Garret T25 Turbo
    2.Fully Programmable ECU from Haltech Sprint 500
    3.TurboSmart BOV
    4.TurboSmart Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator
    5.Tuned length header
    6.Free Flow Exhaust
    7.Excedy Sports Clutch
    8.Garret Intercooler
    9.Silicon Plumbing
    10.BMC(DIA) Cold Air Intake
    11.NGK Iridium IX spark plugs(two step colder)
    For all of this to end up in my car, its gonna end up at 2.5L, and the power is expected to be upped to 175-180bhp, with 91 octane fuel. The reason I am willing to spend this much is that firstly, I'd gladly pay for the finesse and experience of N Leelakrishan's(who owns RRR) Guys, and secondly, I have the advice of a good tuner, who knows what he is talking about, and doesn't blow smoke up my rear end as most of the other so-called tuners. Hope to see you all in the 150bhp+ club, the job should be completed by the middle of next month as it will give me time to scrape enough dough to make all of this possible. Will keep you posted with pics and vids..!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  5. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Keep us posted @ Dhhawal

6. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

but b16 is honda civic type r engine nd integra has that b18c engine

bhai I'd suggest you to go ahead yourself you can do a better job .then why not.
    just take it to tuning shop at the end as Gagan did

7. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

the turbo installation is not hard at all. cause most parts u buy are already made for that car so its really easy to install. turbo is universal, all u have to do for that is just clock it. basically just turning one end of it to make it sit properly. and the inter cooler is universal. that no matter what car u have, u have to make ur own brackets. i made mine from the L supports that are used for holding up a shelf. lol i only worked on it for in total like 2 weeks. the rest of the 6 months was for basically finding parts.

and the tuning part just take it to the tuner and he will tune it and fix any other small issues that u cant do at home. thats what i did :)

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

yep, its not about the turbo though, its about converting a non-turbo charged engine into a turbo charged one when such a thing hasn't been done before, you need to consider the basics
    1.a tuned header manifold with a turbo slot
    2.a programmable ecu to handle the out of range inputs(namely the readings from the AMF) and a fuel pressure regulator to make sure that when the ecu demands more fuel that it should be able to keep the fuel pressure intact.
    3.hoses and relevant pipes to handle the excess air entering the manifold

and when you are treading on unkown territory, its easy to get lost and more likely..misled. N Leelakrishan did turbo charge a honda city and has drawn experience from that particular car that he spent months tuning, and making sure that it was reliable. Running up and down the road with a guy with a laptop connected to the ecu to make sure everything was in perfect order. The job that we are undertaking is huge, i'd need a gas torch to cut out parts of the front brackets to make sure that the pipes were fed back into the throttle plate, off the shelf performance parts are still not that big in india buddy..u remember the blower you sent me?..i still haven't been able to install it because i haven't been able to find a hose big enough. the kit is largely adaptable to many cars..within 1.3l-2.0l range, i could do this build no doubt....but the car will remain stationary for months, because there are not off the shelf parts available because this is a custom job.
    Please if any body is getting turned on by the idea, head to www.speedsport.in, on the site there isn't a whole lot of info, but if you do visit his(the tuner's) garage you will get the picture.

The B16 isn't an exact fit into this engine bay, and neither will be the others...and besides if i do go through with an engine swap..legally i need to re-register it, and probably send it for homologation, which can take months. And i am not really upto that.
    Btw, this weekend..going in to get a vtec head for the same block..! Its an idea which will translate into some more gains when i do get it turbo charged..! Fingers crossed. Cheers.

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Yeah thats true as well that engine swap in Indian cars is not ideal because over there adding a new engine is like pain in the b*tt the government is so lazy and sometimes they don't allow. there are ways around but still you don't want that to happen.

I've heard that so many times that People turbocharged their cars and normally its 60-70 thousand rupees not sure if that is right.

About the parts am sure there aren't much of those performance shops around that area.

I just found this on ebay its for civic though you might wana look at it

Honda Civic B-Series Complete Turbo Kit turbocharger | eBay

Free Shipping for India

10. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

i guess thats the only problem in india that parts are hard to find. over here its so easy to find them, either brand new or used u will have a list of people to call that are around ur area. the engine in my car is really easy to turbo cause if ur running less than 250whp then all u need is the basic turbo setup and a tune. no fuel system upgrades or any hose upgrades or anything like that. would cost less than $1000 for everything and it would be super reliable cause theres not to much power being made. even though its 100whp more than stock lol.

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

ya true that gagan.

12. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

for that very reason..the non availability of these parts.. people try to rip you off, plus there is no accountability if something goes wrong..!
    parts are available off the shelf from ebay, but nobody will tell you that they are rebuilt or reconditioned, when you have the choice of getting a fresh part from honeywell themselves albeit for some extra cash, i think you will understand what i mean
    i have done research on this before deciding
    haltech standalone ecu sprint 500-1200$(incl of sensors 56400Rs/-)
    garret t2554r turbo-1000$(47000Rs/-)
    intercooler-27000(more or less 5000)
    turbosmart bov-7500
    turbosmart fuel pressure reg-13000
    excedy graphite clutch-12000
    ngk iridium ix spark plugs-2000
    hoses etc-8000
    complete header and exhaust setup-16000
    bmc dia-13200

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

14. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

again this for a b16 engine which is a DOHC, and not an sohc, the indian version is a mini-me, and is not available anywhere else in the world..it has a d15 block with a d16y8/z8 sohc vtec head, the original ecu can handle the mods..but in order to extract the most out of the engine, i will have to go for a performance ecu, remapping an stock ecu cannot give you the gains of a fully programmable ecu which will allow me to get the best out of my existing setup

15. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

Platinum Sprint 500
    [​IMG]

Engine Suitability:
    • 1 to 8 Cylinder engines
    • Normally Aspirated or forced induction
    • Load sensing by throttle position or manifold pressure (MAP)
    • Sequential, semi-sequential, batch or multi-point injection patterns
    • Distributor ignition systems or multi-coil systems
    Trigger Types:
    • Hall Effect
    • Optical
    • Inductive Magnetic Reluctor
    Trigger Patterns:
    • Single Pulse per cylinder
    • Multi-tooth
    • Bosch Motronic
    • Ford
    • GM
    • Honda
    • Mazda
    • Mitsubishi
    • Nissan Optical
    • Subaru
    • Toyota
    • Volkswagen
    Features:
    • Windows 2000, XP, Vista compatible software
    • Real time programming, instant hesitation free adjustment while engine is running
    • Fully user definable 16 x 16 mapping
    • Tuning via Volumetric Efficiency (VE), Injection time
    • Selectable onboard internal MAP sensor rated to 150kPa (up to 1.5 Bar or 22psi boost)
    • USB and CAN Communication Port
    • Custom sensor calibaration allows for most factory sensors to be used
    • 2 x User programmable outputs
    ECU Fixed Outputs:
    • 4 x Fuel Injector outputs (for high impedance injectors only (ie: above 8Ω)
    • 4 x Ignition outputs
    • Tacho
    • Thermo Fan
    • Fuel Pump
    ECU Programmable Outputs:
    • 2 x Programmable Outputs
    ECU Inputs:
    • Air Temperature
    • Aux Rev Limiter
    • Coolant Temperature
    • Manifold Absoloute Pressure
    • Roadspeed
    • Throttle Position
    • O2 Sensor (Narrowband or Wideband)
    Functions:
    • CAN Communication
    • O2 Control
    • Over Boost
    • Gear Setup
    • Decel Cut
    • Transient Throttle Enhance
    • Rev Limiter
    Correction Tables: Fuel / Ignition:
    • Air Temp Correction
    • Barometric Correction
    • Coolant Temperature Correction
    • Injector Dead Time
    • Map Correction
    • Post Start
    • Prime Pulse
    • Wide Open Throttle
    • Zero Throttle
    Miscellaneous:
    • Tune can be password protected in software
    • Small and compact design
    • Rugged anodized aluminum casing
    Power Requirements:
    Source: 8.6 to 16.5 Volts DC
    Consumption: 360mA @ 12Volts DC
    Physical Dimensions:
    ECU Dimensions Length: 134mm (154mm with MAP nipple)
    Width: 64mm Height: 28mm Weight: 195g (0.43 lb)
    The Platinum Sprint 500 Kit includes:
    Platinum Sprint 500 ECU,Platinum Sprint 500 Flying Loom, USB Cable, Programming Software CD,
    Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual (on CD), Haltech Sticker

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  16. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

bhai dont go for that at the first place .try to use what you have there

17. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

this is what is available

18. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

nahi i mean try to mod the car without changing ecu yet. do what yu can and see what you get out of it.
    jada paise mat kharcho bhai

19. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

will do sir..! :)

20. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

Update: The ecu cannot be chipped as its a P3S and is an SMD(surface mount devices), also i have now discovered that i cannot use a hondata p28 because i have a SFI(Simplified fuel injection) setup which is basically batch fired injection, so to use a p28, i would have to use change the pinout or change the harness, get a tuning kit, socket the ecu, which can turn out to be time consuming and expensive. The other nice thing is that I have found a vtec head for the same engine, so thats a big bonus, we're just gonna take the old head off, string the new one on, wire it up, and it should work(theoretically), the good thing here is that upon doing a lot of research i've found that the type ii city non vtec had a jdm block, and the vtec had a usdm block which was slightly inferior, so in theory i'll have a more robust engine, to be on the safer side, i will install an oil pressure gauge to keep things in check, will snap some pictures when i do get the job done..!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012