Honda Brio Vs Toyota Liva

Discussion in 'What Car Should I Buy?' started by Jagadish_TA, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jagadish_TA

Jagadish_TA New Member

Hi Ppl,

One of my family friend is considering buying a Brio . He also has received suggestions on Liva (Petrol). Budget is 5.5 to 6 Lacs.

Some ppl had suggested Brio, however he is worried on the maintenance costs ( Honda)..

His key requirements are
    1. Mileage & Hassle free / Less maintenance
    2. Power & Performance
    3. Driving is mostly on the weekends ( 350- 500 Kms).

Pls cld anyone throw some light. Thnx.

2. kevin786

kevin786 New Member

3. Jagadish_TA

Jagadish_TA New Member

Hi Kevin, Thanks very much .

This is tempting me also to go for one (Brio) .. as I was looking for a diesel (Ritz) (with more boot space.. )

However my usage & expectations are almost similar to my friend.

4. amanrawal

amanrawal New Member

I thinks Honda Brio is good for u. Interior design and exterior looks are attractive. Everyone tell me Honda Brio is so good looking for a small compact car with good features. So Go For It........HoNdA BrIo

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

honda's maintainence costs are not troublesome, though quality of maintainence maybe an issue, find yourself a good service station and you'll sail trouble free for years...

6. Jagadish_TA

Jagadish_TA New Member

Dear Friends....

Thank you for your inputs.. Also have more to share.

I had a test drive of Brio y'day with my friend ( who also was looking for one)
    I think....oops it does makes a great small hatch.

My findings below ( I'm not a tech geek.. but as I was with my friend found these... Those interested may find these helpful)

First starting with the dark things.. as these are very less.. :)
    -- -ve
    1. Small boot space
    2. Not so good dashboard
    3. Driver seat - height adjuster not available

++ve's (Plenty)

1. Great space (a) for the driver and (b) excellent leg room for a small car.
    My friend is 6 ft and he was driving.. even then I found great leg room space with me(5.6 ft) sitting in the back
    2. Excellent road grip
    3. The steering is so light & easy to handle ... (I'm a new to driving and I didn't find any hassle)
    4. My friend highlighted that the RPM is 1.8-1.9 K ( less than 2 K) @ 60 Kmph speed, which he said would account to a better mileage.
    ( Personally I do not know abt these statistics.... Any supermoderators could advise on the above point)
    5. Excellent pickup.

Overall a nice car for city..... so I've also decided to book this along with my friend. Only thing is the waiting period.. 2 months

Finally my search for a car has ended with several twists like a Bollywood climax....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. Arun Malhotra

Arun Malhotra New Member

Honda Brio has some shortcomings. You will be getting only single piece seats on all variants, rear demister/ defogger is absent and only a rear wiper is offered. The customer gets a shock with non availability of CD player and auto climate control. The front door pockets are large but fail to hide the metal paint of the vehicle. For taller occupants, thigh support is not sufficient and also the fixed neck restraints fail to accomplish the purpose of their availability. Lastly, the steering wheel could have offered more weight and feel.

8. johan

johan New Member

Hi Jagadish_TA
    See I think you need here fuel efficient car because your travel in the weekend is around 350kms so for such travel Honda Brio will not be good option so you should go for Liva as its more fuel efficient then brio.

9. Jagadish_TA

Jagadish_TA New Member

Well Arun & Johan, Thank you for your inputs...

Whats the waiting period for Liva ? ( For Brio, its 2 months....)

Well it's getting more tougher...with more choices.

As Arun & other friends highlighted, there are definitely shortcomings.
    Cosmetic things are not high on my priority.

Finally what I'm looking forward to, is a good car for commuting (less City & more for short trips), less maintenance & good mileage.

Any idea on the fuel economy in Liva (for City & Highway)

The one thing I'm quite picky over Brio is for its looks & Honda image ( I agree that Toyota is no less, however Liva's looks are'nt that great..hence.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Ashish Sehgal

Ashish Sehgal New Member

Hi Jagadish.
    Though all cars come with some pro's and con's but Honda Brio is better in my opinion. The innovative i-vtec technology in Honda cars make them unique in every segment that assures with better drive quality and fuel efficiency. Toyota Liva is a good car though but the quality of interiors and looks are not that good as compared to Honda brio. As you have already test-driven a brio, you can check a Liva too. That will surely help you decide which one to go for.

11. Jagadish_TA

Jagadish_TA New Member

Hi Ashish,

I agree with you and some-how, have been attracted to the cheeky look of Honda Brio . ( Thanks for your inputs on the engine technology.)

Now coming to the variants, its' a bit confusing (may be not for geeks). Pls help me in this decider...

<<<<AAAA>>>>

I''ve shortlisted these variants (a)SMT & the (b) SMTO.

The notable things missing in the SMT variant is Airbags, ABS & Tilt steering.

I totally agree with (most) going for safety options, however the difference in price is around 60K which makes me to have a second thought ( to go with SMT variant).

Anyways I'm going for a bank loan. I thought if I could save this amnt, then I can have additional fittings (wherever required / approx 30K ) within this amnt.. else it would be SMTO ( around 6.05 + additional fitments + 30K)

So the final say is between SMT & SMTO....

1. Hear that Airbags will come with additional electrical wirings and may(wiring) need to be checked / changed every 30-40Kms? is it True

2. ABS .. is it an absolute necessary ?

Looking frwrd to your feedbacks... Thnk you all.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012