help needed in replacing air filter and cabin air filter

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by deep, Jul 20, 2011.

1. deep

deep New Member

Hi Guys,

i need help in replacing air filter and cabin air filter on my honda civic EX-L with 20k miles on it.main question where i am confused is that which brand i should buy, i wouldnot mind to spend some extra bucks for quality products.
    Honda original can also be option.

2. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

original is good too. over here the most common one found is fram filter. but a really good one would be the K&N filter. lots of good feedback on that.

3. deep

deep New Member

Thanks Gagan,
    i checked some forums and FRAM has most -ve feedback. heard lot abt K&N but these are like 4 or 5 times than purolator , are they worth 45$ for air filter and 25 for cabin?

4. gagan_singh

thats way more than what we pay here. u can get the air filter for like 30 bucks and the cabin one i dont know. fram does have alot of negative feedback, but for the price u cant go wrong. i use it in my civic, never gave me any problems. if u are running some serious power or something big then its worth getting the k&n one. other wise i would go with the fram one. my dad has a fram one in his van. it easily lasts about 40k!!

5. deep

deep New Member

there is nothing serious power stuff, its all untouched original Civic.
    the reason for change is that whenever i turn the AC it gives wierd damp smell for few minutes than it normalizes, probably due to bad cabin filter.
    so i thought of replacing both.will check the price of Honda, if its cheaper than K&N then i will go for honda otherwise K&N

6. gagan_singh

the honda one should be cheaper for sure.

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

good to see you doing some stuff yourself
    I changed the airfilter of the honda civic as well in Canada :p , my mate doesnt know shyt.

K&N are nice

and when you open a cabin filter make sure there is that net sorta thing. what I've heard is some cabin filters just have the net and no filter ( like air filter of engine)
    get one with that

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

a replacement oem k&n wouldn't be very expensive...! plus it'll also last you four or five times! i am wondering wether the stink comes from the outside...if it does even when you have the recirculator on, it indicates your vent is bleeding air. If the stink comes even when the outside air is not foul, then it points to fungal growth on the evaporator, which could be a result of stagnant water thats condenses, which should find its way out through a duct which probably is clogged..! the stink disappears after a little while because the coil becomes too cold while in operation, fungal growth is enouraged in a warm n moist environment..! mind you replacing tha filter won't rid you of the problem, because even tho i could be wrong, i would suggest you make it doubly sure that this is not the case, because this is one reason why people fall ill often, because when you breath that stink, you are actually inhaling infection..!

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

I agree on that about foul air.
    but his car is pretty new bro. i think he should take him car to dealer if there something wrong in the vents ( i hope thats not the case)

10. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

its not to do with the age of the car, a small obstruction in the drainage could result in a little water remaining within the casing of the evaporator...! the main thing thats pointing towards a fungal growth is that it disappears after a little while, had the stink been there constantly, it was a different issue..!

11. deep

deep New Member

today replaced the air filter and cabin air filter,
    air filter is K&N , they claim is reusable(they have cleaning kits) also guy at auto shop showed me some ball test in which he showed that air flow from K&N was several times better than other non branded filter they had,
    cabin filter is purolator as K&N doesnot make it, but its definitely lesser quality than original Honda filter that i removed (it was badly clogged) so i am thinking to replace it again in a year.

AC foul smell stopped now, i found on some forum that AC needs defrosting, so i ran it without interior air circulation for approx 30 mins and now its running fine, generally we turn AC on max which automatically turns interior air circulation on. that was culprit

12. caraccessories

caraccessories New Member

Hello deep!
    You can buy Eco-friendly car air filter that reducing the environment impact.This air filters are capable of augmenting the performance of the coupe.

13. motorexpert

motorexpert New Member

Hi Deep,

This is so far late info even though hope u will get latest news about our MotorExpert(dot)in one who can solve any kind of motor prob in India - Chennai, bangalore & Pune :)