Fuel Injectors: Petrol engines

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by Codename.47, May 22, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Fuel injectors provide controlled fuel delivery system to the combustion chamber resulting in optimum engine performance and fuel efficiency. Low quality fuel and stop start driving conditions form deposits on fuel injectors which negatively affect fuel spray pattern and lead to poor vehicle performance.

Constant stop start driving lead to unburnt fuel within the engine and resulting in build up of carbon deposits within the combustion chamber. This leads to increased compression ratios, causing problems associated with the use of low-octane fuels. The motorist suffers from the car's poor running and low fuel economy. Carbon deposits also build up on fuel injectors and inlet valves causing poor atomisation of the fuel, leading to starting problems, poor running and expense to the motorist.

Major oil companies and chemical companies associated with the industry were forced to produce detergent-type additives for unleaded fuels to minimise the above-mentioned problems. These products are now added to fuels but, unfortunately, at a minimum level because of the additional cost, and because the oil companies have been able to create lucrative after-market sales of such additives by carefully minimising the amount added to the petrol we buy at the pump. They then advertise the need to use such additives to ensure trouble free engine operation.

Injector Cleaner is safe to use in all unleaded petrol including E10.

Benefits:
    Cleans fuel injectors & carburettors in one tankful
    Cleans intake valve deposits for easier starting
    Safe for catalytic converters & oxygen sensors
    Restores fuel economy
    Improves performance & acceleration
    Reduces environmentally dangerous emissions

Source:nulon.com

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

I use the injector cleaners once in a while..
    Do you?

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

as do i, but i am not really satisfied with the results, even when i do, i can hear the anti-knock sensors working to eliminate the knock...! does anyone have pointer on how to clean injectors manually?

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

hmmm.. thats would be a big job wouldnt it..
    bhai u need to put the octance enhancer in ur car since thats a supercharged

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

hehe, arre yaar, i don't drive the merc to work(hey that rhymes), its the santro...every so often, in stop n go traffic, it feels a lil underpowered, and u can hear the anti knock sensor working overtime to correct the ignition timing...:(, the sad part is unfortunately(according to one of the engineers that i spoke with at hyundai service centre), that in this engine, the injectors are quite upright and so are the cylinders which kinda aids carbon depositions...so you have to get it decarbed every so often. Its a design flaw....or so he would have me believe...!

6. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

hmm . is that knocking sound form tibbets?

7. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

i wouldn't clean the injectors yourself, get them flow tested, that's the best way of cleaning them. over here its about $10-15 per injector.

Dhhawal likes this.
  8. drfuelinstein

drfuelinstein New Member

9. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

they have actually...there is no way carbon deposits can end up in the intake tract in the cylinder head unless some fuel is finding its way there, since the science behind GDI is to inject fuel directly in the combustion chamber this means that the carbon soot/gunk finding it way onto the valve stems is part of the gases that are being recirculated via Exhaust Gas Recirculation and crankcase ventialtion systems(both of these systems are designed to keep emitions down) it is their design actually which dictates the amount of carbon deposits and so it isn't the fault of the technology in use but the fault of the accompanying technology, which was the EGR and CCV, in the case of normal multi port injection the fuel washed off any deposits of the valve stems so even if the EGR was venting particulates into the intake it would get washed off the stems during fuel injection, so basically what they need is a better Exhaust Gas Recirculation systems which don't circulate particulates into the intake.

10. vinapanse

vinapanse New Member

carbon deposit on inlet valve reason 1) valve guide oil seal damage 2) defective egr valve 3) tappet gap not proper 4) valve seat damage 5) too much clearance between valve stem and guide. there will be white smoke for brief period when you accelerate and leave the throttle

11. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@vinapanse, we were discussing carbon deposits on inlet valves vis a vis gasoline direct injection engines, which is a result of poor egr system design vs application in gdi engines...but thank you on the pointers of identfication of possible valve guide failures...

12. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

thanks for pointing above points

I do had smoke coming out of my exhaust . got it serviced yesterday now havent checked. will see if somethings wrong with any of the injectors