Dealer or Mechanic for Car Repair ?

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by Naveen, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Naveen

Naveen New Member

Who do you go for repairs and why ?:confused:

2. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

i go to myself and get it done at my house!! lol if i ever have to go out and get it done then always a mechanic, dealer is good for new cars but when it comes to old cars they can charge you alot.

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Dealers : NO ( unless its free service)
    Mechanic yes
    Make sure you get a quote from 2-3 different places

Take your own engine oil and oil/air filter

4. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Dealer

+ Better equipment to diagnose and repair.
    + All at one place ( Mechanic, Electrician, Wheel care, denting painting, wheel care, washing )
    + Factory trained mechanics.
    + Surety of genuine spare parts (somewhat)
    + Comfortable waiting lounge while your car is being repaired.
    - parts and repair usually costs more at dealer.
    - mostly they don't bother to repair damage parts and push for replacement.

Mechanic

+ Cheaper
    + Usually the only choice to fit after market products.
    - Dishonest or Inapt mechanic can ruin your car.

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

the problem with dealers(in india), is that there's no transparency, when you are paying a lot more than what you would at a mechanic's garage you expect top notch service, case in point:
    i have a full service history of my hyundai santro, and i always got it serviced from a dealer whom i knew very well, almost a family friend( i didn't get any discounts), i was spending thrice of what i would have paid otherwise, but i thought i didn't have to take upon the headache of getting spares so it was pretty much even, because when i got involved, i would worry about everything, the amount of oil that came out of the engine, why was it less/more, how dirty was it, and other things that plagued my mind...so i thought it would be better if i let them worry about the health of the vehicle, since they were more qualified(or so i thot), but the last time around i decided i couldn't find the time to book a service so thot i would do it myself, and i found some very startling revelations after i opened the drain bolt on the sump:
    the oil was thin
    it had a lot of gunk in it
    and it was a good 300ml short of full measure
    i was aghast because this means that either somebody didn't change the oil at all or somebody poured in less oil intentionally, the engine could have ceased, and the only support i would have gotten from those idiots at the service station was the bill that was gonna hang on my head to rebuild the engine...! the worst part of all this is, that these people do not allow you to view the car when they are servicing it..as its a 'restricted area', so there's no way to know actually what they r doing..!
    This entire experience has made me loose my faith in organised servicing..and i am never going to that service station again, i'm better off doing it myself..!

6. deep

deep New Member

i got first service for my honda civic done at a Castrol oil change facility , to my surprise they used mobil1 synthetic oil instead of castrol. it was fine as Mobil1 is also known and trusted brand, so i didnot bothered much , but 2 months later when i went for yearly inspection they found that filter is leaking and filter was a cheap filter may 1-2$, when i went to castrol oil change next time i asked how much discount they will give if i buy my own filter they said 2$, that was last day i visited them, from that day i buy oil and filter (mostly on sale mobil1 5Quarts +mobile1 filter for 33$) and take it to pepboys to change it and they charge 18$ to change still cheaper that castrol guys as they charges 59.99 for synthetic.

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Dealers do that shyt dont they.

I found this guy from where I got my car fixed I can stand next to him and get it done. Its way better then those stupid dealers and the ultratech guys.
    and Deep yes your right they use their own shyt stuff cuz they save more on them

8. gagan_singh

one of my freinds worked at a desi mechanic shop for like a year. he said most of the shops get there filters from china and there only like 50 cents to a dollar!!

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

gagan.. man . u and ur mates are dirty :p

10. gagan_singh

lol how we dirty? we just get the inside details that the general public does not know about!! ahah

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

haha and u do a bit better then that.. buy a 1 dollar one from china :p twice as better ey !

12. deep

deep New Member

possible, and that 50 cent one doesnot even complete 2000 miles, and mobil1 goes oil and filter set goes for approx 5500 miles on avg(when gauge shows 15 oil life)