All-new Honda CR-V set to target Toyota Fortuner, Chevrolet Captiva

Discussion in 'Indian Automotive Scene' started by Car Lover, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Car Lover

Car Lover New Member

[​IMG]
    Apart from the two mentioned in the header, the new Honda CR-V will also have the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Renault Koleos for company. Still, it doesn’t end here. Premium brands like Mercedes-Benz and BMW are also offering slightly different products in the same price band. For starters, the Honda CR-V has a huge fan following in India and is among the most anticipated launches of the year. Honda will launch the new SUV on February 12th, putting an end to all speculations of its launch.[​IMG]
    Some folks though might get disappointed by the fact that the all-new Honda CR-V will get a petrol engine and not the i-DTEC that is being offered on the European model. Also, it is a known fact that the segment leader, i.e. Toyota Fortuner is cashing in solely on its diesel model. Another contender in the race to rule this segment is the Chevrolet Captiva. The car recently received a mid-life facelift and now features all-wheel drive and an automatic transmission.[​IMG]
    Powering the Captiva is again a diesel powerplant. Both the Captiva and the Fortuner are offered with an option of two-wheel and all-wheel drive. Same would be the case with the Honda CR-V. The lower-spec variant is expected to drop the 4WD drivetrain as well as the slush box which will be replaced for a conventional stick-shift. Under the hood will be a 2.0 litre i-VTEC petrol engine tuned for better mileage. The automatic on the other hand will get a 2.4 litre version of the i-VTEC engine.[​IMG]
    Compare these specs with the others and one might have to think twice before setting sight on the new CR-V. That said, now that diesel prices are partially deregulated, the asking price for litre of go-juice might go up in the near future and hopefully this diesel bubble would burst. Of course, despite the deregulation diesel prices won’t breach the amplitude set by petrol prices in India. Honda is aware of this fact and hence a diesel variant of the new Honda CR-V is also on cards. When it will be launched is still a closely guarded secret at Honda but it is coming, for sure. Until then, we have the uber-refined and reliable petrol i-VTEC.