A Proud owner of Honda City Type-2

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by Pavan_MP423, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Pavan_MP423

Pavan_MP423 New Member

Hello everyone .My Dad presented to me Honda City type-2 as my 20th B'day gift :) . This thread is regarding the maintenece of the Car & small issues that I've observed. Please help me in this regard.

Since its a pre-owned car let me list its current condition :

Distance travelled : 70242

The owner has put Civic alloys ; Sun roof ;

Color : sky blue ( light shade )

-While driving the Car, I observe jerking effect on 2nd gear. I mean after I accelerate by 35-45% & release the throttle, The car jerks. Does the throttle body needs to be altered?

-Apart from that, there's absolutely no problem with the Car. And since the owner has put Civic alloys, I think it doesn't really go well with the Car. Please tell me what kind of alloys\mag wheels look good with the Car?

Please give me advice, as its my 1st Car I want it to be well maintained :)

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Hi Pavan,

thanks for a small intro about you and the car

congrats for the gift
    Honda's are always nice to have cars

First of all lets talk about your car

Did you get the car serviced since you got it ?

have you got the transmission serviced? if not please do that

and is it only the 2nd gear that jerks?

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

i can't really give you pointers on alloys...as for the jerking, which year was the car registered in? is it a vtec?

4. Pavan_MP423

Pavan_MP423 New Member

-Yes, I've left the Car today at my Mechanics garage for a general service. -That's right , only on 2nd gear there's a jerk.

I'm planning to modify the Car after a few months, As I wanna get proper rhythm of the Car. I want to change the present Civic mag wheels which are put on tires. Please let me know what type of Alloys go well with the Car?

@Dhhawal
    Bro its 2001. Yes, vTec engine

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

sounds good when you said you want to modify it.

http://www.cartalk.in/f13/honda-city-modification-thread-876/

check this thread :) this is Dhhawal's project car

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

jerking was a problem with all pre 2002 vtecs, what you need to do is get a hold of a 2002/3 ecu and swap it with yours....it was an ecu bug or rather a fuel table problem

as for the wheels, the city can take 14-15 inchers...would not advise you to go over as your ride quality will turn to shit,
    enkie, oz, momo, konig are all reputed brands for the same..

honda is mostly maintainence free...the only thing you need to take care of are oil changes, and its suspension, check the brake pads once, and give a once over to the steering rack..check for power steering fluid leaks..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

bhai what about re flashing an ecu ? wouldnt that help ?

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

it was an ecu bug...with all pre 2002 vtecs, the ambient temperature along with the humidity levels is not something they had anticipated while mapping that ecu, which is why it jerks at 2000rpm, however in the next revision they mananged to fix the bug, its a fairly simple fix...reflashing won't do anything since its not tripping a cel(check engine lamp)

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

oh okay .

so how much would that cost. second hand ?

10. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

about 10k

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

thats not bad. and installation ?

12. Pavan_MP423

Pavan_MP423 New Member

Sorry, I couldn't reply to your posts as I was away from comp. for few days.

Well, I thought it could've been a problem due to clutch assembly. Do you reckon that clutch has nothing to do with the jerk effect?
    Since, the car setup of early 2000's cars are relatively different. Does swapping the ECU prove to be reliable enough for the future?

Thanks for the link codename47 :) ( Ops! I don't know your name :p ).
    I'll look into it.

13. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@pavan, it doesn't have anything to do with the clutch as you've probably noticed its a problem that only occursin second gear, the shap of the car may have changed but they were using the same obd2b ecu's, changing the ecu only changes the engine management and since its the same honda ecu, reliabality won't be an issue...

@code, its a fairly simple plug in job...anybody can do it themselves

14. Pavan_MP423

Pavan_MP423 New Member

All right :). Ill get the ECU tested ones . Please note that, I observed the jerk not only in 2nd. But also in 1st as well at low rpm ~2000rpm. Itseems very bad in 2nd, than 1st.

Adding on to that, when I upshift from 2nd to 3rd at ~3000-3500rpm & I observe there's a lag, the car doesn't have good pick up initially when I throttle at 30%. Post lag moment, its trouble free.
    And in the 1st gear the moment I accelerate & move forward , followed by decelerate when I encounter speedbreakers, then further acceleration is been causing even bigger jerk. It happens only after I turn off & on the ignition & start driving.

15. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@pavan go through the thread i am posting and read post no.2, OHC & OHC Vtec Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and Max Speed ? - Team-BHP, first things first, have your fuel tank taken out and cleaned, change your fuel filter while you're at it too...you have to be a lil more clear in what you're saying in the last part of your reply as i am not able to interpret properly...just change your ecu and drive it..if the jerking disappears...keep it..otherwise don't change it, look for a 2003 vtec ecu..

16. Pavan_MP423

Pavan_MP423 New Member

Thanks for the link :) .
    -okay, what I'm saying is that. I start the car & travel few metres ahead on 1st gear. And I decelerate on encoutering a speedbreaker, then proceed driving ( on 1st gear ). At that moment I observe massive jerk. That doesn't occur until the next time I turn off & on ignition , and proceed driving .

17. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

try another ecu...see if that works..